Monday, April 18, 2011

My first old door headboard

I was pretty excited to get my hands on another old door recently.  I wanted to try my hand at turning it into a headboard.  I did the entire thing all by myself without any help from my dear old hubby.  I was so pleased with the out come of it.
I used 1x4 boards for the legs.  But I am thinking that from now on I will be using 2x4 because they will make the legs feel a bit more sturdy.
I started out with a white door that had chipping paint.  I bought a piece of trim to go along the top of my headboard & used a 1x4 to cap off the top.  I then painting the entire headboard black.  Then over the top of the black I painted it all off white.  Once the paint had dried I sanded areas in a hit & miss fashion to give it a worn and old look.  Then I rubbed my gel stain all over it to give it a dirty/grungy look.  I made sure to leave a little extra stain in the cracks for a more aged look.
I am so pleased with the out come of this head board.  I can't wait to make many, many more to sell in our primitive shop. 

3 comments:

  1. I love it! Thanks for the inspiration! I have two old doors out in one of the silos and now I know what I'm doing with them. Thanks again!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. noisy headboard

    ReplyDelete